Winchmore Hill Sports Club Golf Society
During the spring and summer evenings of 1950, a number of members keen on the game were seen knocking a golf ball around the ground, and the idea of laying out a nine hole pitch and putt course was considered. However, there were difficulties - not the least being that the traditional cover drive with a seven iron could spell danger for motorists and nearby residents - so it was decided to invite those interested to assemble at Whitewebbs Golf Course in north Enfield for regular evening games.
The following year, 1951, the Society officially came into being. Its objective was to provide adequate but perhaps more relaxed exercise for those not necessarily wishing to continue playing cricket, and to retain the good fellowship so far enjoyed without losing their affinity to the Cricket Club.
In 1957, an even more local venue became available, and the long and friendly association with the Bush Hill Park Golf Club began, to the mutual benefit of both.
President - Simon Jones
Captain - Theo Simou
Vice Captain - Chris Hall
Treasurer - Peter Burd
Secretary - Tony Holding
Handicap Secretary - Mick Wilmott
For more information about the WHSC Golf Society, please email our secretary.